A journal of a southern home, family, food, and an urban garden.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Shrimp Noodle Goodness or Finally another post


First, let me apologize about the lapse in postings. Besides cooking and gardening, I sell houses and Spring is always my busy time! That being said...let's get to the good stuff.
This dish was a spontaneous one, I was in the mood for a saucy shrimp noodle dish:
so I started with rice cooking wine, oyster sauce, teriyaki and a little soy.(all of which you can purchase at an Asian Store, I go to the one on University across from UALR) In a large skillet I heated the cooking wine and sautéed some baby bella mushrooms(sliced) and added a package of fresh spinach(chopped). After a couple of minutes I added the oyster sauce, teriyaki and soy(I know this drives some people crazy, but just pour a little of each in, taste it and see if you need more) If you have always cooked by recipe, this is a good one to start on the path to freedom, far away from the constraints of measurement. First taste each sauce, figure out what you like about it, is is sweet? salty? then taste each together...how do they enhance each other? Cooking is like painting, some like more red in a painting, some blue....figure out what you like!

 After the mushroom/spinach sauce is perfected, add your peeled shrimp and rice noodles. The rice noodles will have instructions on the package. I always boil a pot of water, turn off the heat and throw the shrimp in. They will turn pink when they are done sitting...all that's left is peeling them.
 So after dinner that night we decided to take the kids for a walk around the neighborhood, the night was crisp with a slight warm spring breeze, so I decided some baked apples would be perfect for when we returned from our walk. I want to perfect this one, so if you have any ideas please post them in the comments! I just sliced some apples and sprinkled with cinnamon and brown sugar and let them bake in the oven.....
They were the perfect way to warm up when we got home!

No comments:

Post a Comment