A journal of a southern home, family, food, and an urban garden.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Great Debate: corn tortilla vs flour tortilla!

As I gobble down these left overs for lunch, wrapped in a slightly skillet browned tortilla, my mind races: what could I add or change to this recipe(soon to follow) to outdo the greatness that I set before my family yesterday evening.....possibly NOTHING! now I did tweak this one(as I tend to do with all recipes) so the original version might be even more outstanding!
The recipe came from: VEGANOMICON, this was my 2nd recipe to pull from this newly acquired book of vegan knowledge and 2 out of 2 ain't 2 bad(hahah). Also my fist attempt at spaghetti squash(how did I not know of it's elegant beauty and sublime taste before!!)
"Spaghetti Squash Mexicana with tropical avocado Salsa Fresca" -my mouth is watering again and this is a little frightening since I just ate the rest of the leftovers for lunch(3 tacos full).

Get your spaghetti squash and cut it width wise and scoop out the seeds. Prick with fork about 5-6times on the outside skin, place the 2 halves,  inside down in a baking pan of h2O(about an inch)  bake at 375 until skin is easily pierced with fork. (30-45min)

While your squash is cooking, mix 1cup of chopped tomatoes(I used 2 tomatoes, I don't measure often) 1 cup of chopped pineapple, mango, or papaya(I used 2 mangoes), 1 avocado cut into chunks: the 2 stores that I visited had horrible looking avocados so I opted for already made guacamole), 1/4 cup cilantro chopped, and some lime juice. Cover and refrigerate.

The next mixture calls for 1 can of black beans(my husband HATES beans, so this ingredient was left out, it would probably make this dish better)
Heat a large skillet with some veggie oil and throw in an onion diced and 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped(I left the heat out because of the kiddos) saute until onions go translucent. then add 3 cloves minced garlic, 2 teaspoons crushed coriander seeds:
Why you should own a mortar and pestle!
Saute until aromas release and add the rest of the spics: 1.5teaspoons chile powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin(I added a little more because I LOVE cumin), 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2teaspoon salt, then add the wine, it calls for 1/2 cup red cooking wine, but all I had was dry sherry(improvising is a must in the kitchen!) Raise the heat and boil for about 2 min stirring often! Lower the heat then add the beans(if you are using them) and 1 can of corn, it also calls for  2 teaspoons hot sauce, but I left this out. cook until wine reduces down, about 5-7min. Scoop out your cooked squash insides and toss them in, shredding them as you put them in.


Serve it piping hot on plates with salsa fresca atop! I heated corn and flour tortillas to eat with it!! I love the corn, my husband prefers the flour....the debate continues, you try it and tell me which you prefer!

No comments:

Post a Comment